We are a growing Byron Bay brand…
Wheels’n Boards is an expanding Byron Bay brand with a range of thoughtfully designed, quality printed/laser engraved skateboards.
Our products are made with quality maple wood, bamboo, and local camphor wood handcrafted designed & assembled in Byron Bay Australia.
Our process …
Our camphor wood is cut, stored and supplied from a local Byron Bay hinterland private property. Our design, engraving, printing, and assembly is done from our workshop in Suffolk Park.
- board cutting: the camphor wood comes from a local private property in Nimbin, the Byron Bay hinterland. It is stored in a large shed ready to be cut for specific applications: chopping boards, furniture, and skateboard decks. The maple wood comes from Canadian trees and is cut into thin plies assembled together.
- board crafting: the boards are crafted to a specific shape, length, and width corresponding to our designs or any specific customer’s requirement.
- board sanding: we use 200g grain to remove any rough imperfections coming from the factory and fine tune the sanding with a lighter 100g to have a smooth finish prior staining as needed.
- board staining: the stain depends on the type of wood. Maple wood requires staining after sanding. There are a huge amount of stains on the market but after testing a number stained product we retained two types of stains to choose from: walnut – a brown that has a reddish tint in it and teak brown that has a yellowish tint in it. The stain is applied on sanded boards and penetrates the wood highlighting the natural wood lines across the deck. Our camphor wood remains natural with no staining required.
- laser engraving: our board can be laser engraved with a name, pattern, logo or drawing on it. Customers can email us a drawing or use the wheels’n boards website online tools to come up with a design. The drawing is then imported in a laser engraving software, adjusted (shadows, exposure, colors, and light) and aligned with the board shape. Prior engraving we need to perform side tests to adjust the laser power depending on the design complexity or wood porosity. Engraving is done line by line and can engrave fine details up to 10 microns accuracy.
- printing: Our board can be printed with a photo, image or logo on it. Customers can email us a drawing or use the wheels’n boards website online tools to come up with a design. The designs are printed on a specific waterproof laminated vinyl. The vinyl used is similar to the vinyl used to advertise on vehicles. It is soft enough to apply on the skateboard decks and wrap around the corners, strong enough to protect against small scratch but will definitely not afford a slide on the copper at the local skatepark! Although prints are made on real rideable skateboards, please note that most printed boards are used for display purpose.
- finishing: the boards once stained comes naturally matt or can be varnished with a transparent gloss to give it a shiny aspect. An intermediate finish consists in applying natural Bee’s Wax, let it dry for 24 hours and polish it with a dry cloth. The bee’s wax finish not only nourishes and protects the wood but also provides a neutral shiny finish in between matt and gloss with a soft texture and great natural smell! Our camphor wood boards come with a natural feel and smell from camphor trees and are finished with camphor oil.
- assembling: the decks are assembled with quality trucks and wheels mounted on reliable ABEC bearings. There are two colors to choose from black or white. We recommend a darker wooden board mounted with white wheels and lighter decks with black wheels
That’s why each piece is unique, for us and for you.